Bring a bit of Champagne Central’s classic afternoon tea to your very own home. After all, there’s no better way to bond with your loved ones and pass the time than over baking.
Makes 10 scones
225g self-raising flour
pinch of salt
55g butter, cubed
25g caster sugar
1 free-range egg, beaten
1. Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7 and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. In a large bowl mix the self-raising flour with the salt, then rub in the butter.
3. Stir in the sugar and milk, until you have a smooth dough.
4. Flour a clean surface and knead the dough lightly.
5. Roll the dough out to 2cm thick and use a 5cm cutter to cut out 10 circles. Place them onto the lined baking tray.
6. Brush the tops of the dough with beaten egg (or a splash of milk, if you prefer) and bake for 12-15 minutes, until risen and golden.
7. Allow to cool on a wire rack – for a least a few minutes if you prefer them warm, or otherwise until cool.
8. Enjoy! Add some jam and clotted cream to your scone and relax with a cup of tea or a glass of fizz, Champagne Central style!